Wynnewood, Pennsylvania is located in
Montgomery County, PA. It is one of Philadelphia’s suburbs.
Wynnewood was named in 1691 for Dr. Thomas Wynne, William Penn's
physician. Wynne accompanied William Penn on his original journey to
America on the ship Welcome.
The first land in Wynnewood was mainly owned by
farmers with the following family names: Jones, Wistar, Owen, and
Price. By 1833, other families businesses were added to Wynnewood
such as: N Parker Shortridge, who was a Philadelphia banker and
director of the Pennsylvania Railroad; Isaac H. Clothier, who was a
department store co-founder with Justus C. Strawbridge; and Henry C.
Gibson who was a distiller.
The Charles C. Knox Home is located in Wynnwood. This home was
built in the 1850s by Josiah Knox. This home is currently a
residents for older adults.
The Pennsylvania Railroad built tracks in
Montgomery County by 1834. The railroad began to add stops in this
area around 1870.
In the early 1880’s, wealthy Philadelphians had
architects build summer retreat homes for them in Lower Merion
Click here to learn more about the
history of Wynnewood.